Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Out of this World

Seems we're not the only ones fascinated and perplexed by the kid. Last week, we met her teacher along with the school principal at school. Conversation pieces I remembered:
In my years of teaching, this is first time I felt frustrated. Despite all my efforts, it seems I couldn't break through to her. A certain speaker at a conference I attended spoke of a small percentage of children who were different from the norm. I get the feeling that I've finally met one. The consensus among all school teachers is that she is probably one of the nicest kids in school. (Uhmmm) Despite her difficulties, she always has a ready smile and is genuinely happy. She always does things double-time, always in a hurry. Her world revolves around super-heroes and always assesses the lessons according to its relevance to the comic characters her mind is often preoccupied with.
Asked for comment, I thanked them for their patience and asked them to not lose trust in their abilities as educators. We're constantly re-assessing our options and trying to instead see where her interests and strengths lie and go from there. Above all, just seeing her healthier, with very few medical incidents compared to the last school year, is already a great victory in itself. Can't really say we're on to something but there goes Zaki for you.
Only to find out Friday night that she has fever and after three plus days, is still in process of recovery. Better but still not sleeping as soundly as she normally does. Strange. Call her condition 'guarded' - as if all her days isn't termed as such.

No comments: